Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AdamV  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:44:38 AM(UTC)
AdamV

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Scenario for one of my customers:
Data is coming from a bespoke third-party ERP, which is exporting flat (delimited) files of Accounts and Contacts as source for InaPort.

InaPort processes these and updates existing records in Dynamics CRM Online, or inserts new records.

Problem: Source data includes ALL records. The third party system has no means to export only records recently updated. So we overwrite every existing record every night, which triggers all sorts of workflows, changes the "Modified on" date etc. Plus must take longer because of the round trips to the web service. Gut feeling at the moment is that fewer than 10% of the records actually change on any given day (note: data include YTD sales value, so lots of records do change compared to typical CRM data "churn").

Requirement: Check for an exact match on all fields in the source data compared to target (about 10-12 fields to compare for each row). If record is the same, do not update the record in the target at all.
If record is not an exact match but exists in target (based on unique ID such as Account Number), then update target with all new fields.
If record is not found, create new record.

I'm new to InaPort so I don't know how to approach this. It seems like in the first step I need to be able to flag the matching records so they can be skipped in the later steps too. Or looked at the other way round, can the non-exact-matching records be stored somewhere eg as an in-memory table or exported to a temporary local file to be re-processed by steps 2 and 3 (which are basically a regular "Update or insert" pattern).

As an aside - can InaPort take advantage of the native upsert message in Dynamics CRM if a reliable unique key field exists in order to reduce the round trips to the web service?